Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From King Arthur Flour.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- coarse decorator sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly grease (or line with muffin cups, and grease the muffin cups) a standard-size muffin pan.
- Beat together the butter, sugar, baking powder, salt, and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time; then stir in the milk. Mix in the flour, then the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups; they’ll be quite full. Sprinkle each muffin with a little coarse sugar. Bake the muffins for 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of one comes out without crumbs clinging to it (a little chocolate is OK!).
These are a very dense muffin and not overly sweet which is nice for use as a breakfast treat. I think next time I will use half white and half wheat to see if that helps with the density of the muffin since this ended up a bit on the dry side or maybe add a bit more milk. Overall I love the flavor of the wheat with the chocolate chips and it tasted great warmed up and served with my morning coffee. Tagged in Everyday is a Holiday game. Thanks Redsie!
i made it with half white and half whole wheat flour. wasnt as sweet of a muffin as i like a chocolate chip muffin to be. but otherwise it was good