Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Serve with piroshki or old-fashioned chicken pie.
- 1 (4 lb) chicken
- 7 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put chicken and giblets, except liver, into a pot with enough cold water to cover the meat.
- Heat slowly until water boils, skim, then cook very gently.
- Lightly brown the carrots, celery, and onions in butter, then add the leek, garlic, and parsley.
- Add the vegetable mixture, bay leaf, and peppercorns to the chicken in the pot.
- Let simmer until chicken is tender (1 1/2 hours or more).
- Season with salt 30 minutes before soup is done cooking.
- Strain through several layers of cheesecloth, skim off fat, and garnish with minced parsley if desired.
my Grandmamma made it without butter too
We had a family gathering this weekend. I made this as a starter on Saturday and everyone asked for "seconds". This is one recipe I'll never loose. I did not use the butter, but fried the veggies in "spray'n-cook".