Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- Thoroughly grease a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Place the cheddar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Scald the milk in the top of a double boiler.
- Meanwhile beat the egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored then set them aside.
- When the milk is scalded, add the corn meal very gradually, stirring constantly. Stir until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth.
- Remove the top of the double boiler from the simmering water and gradually add the beaten egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Mix in the grated cheese, butter, sugar and salt.
- Beat the egg whites, in a small bowl, until round peaks are formed. Gently spread the beaten egg whites over the corn meal mixture then carefully fold together until just blended.
- Turn the mixture into the greased casserole dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the center of the dish.
- Serve piping hot with butter and maple syrup or honey.