Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is an adopted recipe. I shall be trying it out and then post any additional information if needs be. Feel free to try it out first and share your comments!
- 1 cup cornmeal, White If Poss
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, Shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter, Melted
- 1 large egg, Beaten
- Combine the dry ingredients and then stir in the cheddar cheese.
- Combine the milk, butter and egg then add them to the dry ingredients, mixing until just moistened.
- Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking pan and bake at 425 degrees F for 35 minutes.
- Serve hot.
This is a very good side dish to serve along corned beef or fried chicken. The recipe calls for white cornmeal if possible, but I find that yellow cornmeal makes for an "earthier" cornbread.
Gosh maybe it is just me but I just did not find this very flavourful. I found it quite bland (with the cheese coming through somewhat) and very dry. I think it needed some creamed corn or something to pick it up. I may experiment with the recipe to try and get it more to my taste.
I also used yellow cornmeal, it was OH SO YUMMY and my family loved it....a real keeper! Great served with Mexican soup. Thanks for sharing.