Recipe by Steve P.
This pie is not for those without a sweet tooth. It's very sweet and much in the style of a pecan pie.
Top Review by Susie D
When I selected this recipe to prepare the cashews weren’t on the ingredient list in the recipe. Because I had seen the preview version, I was able to check my notes & proceed from there. I was truly expecting a syrupy, sweet pecan like pie. This isn’t that! My DH didn’t find it overly sweet at all and the texture reminded us more of a buttermilk pie….creamy and rich. I loved the unique idea of adding using a raw potato. A potato? You can tell a lot of thought went into making it work and it DOES work!! The potato gives the pie a bit of texture, but doesn’t distract from the flavor. My only complaint is mixing a cup of milk & only utilizing a small portion of it. I loved the imaginative & creative ideas in this recipe. Great job!!!
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole roasted cashews (unsalted)
- 1⁄3 cup powdered milk (instant)
- 1 cup water
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1 small red potatoes, peeled
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup light corn syrup (such as Karo clear red label)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 9 inches unbaked pie shells (I used a Pillsbury refrigerated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the powdered milk in the 1 cup of water and set aside.
- Place pie crust in 9 inch pan and spread the cashews evenly over the bottom of the crust.
- In a food processor grate the potato until finely chopped adding enough of the reconstituted milk to make it smooth but not very wet; use no less than 2 Tablespoons but no more than 1/4 cup.
- Grate the the lemon rind and add to the potato mixture, if you peel long strips of zest off the lemon without getting any white on it, you can use the food processor to grate the zest too instead of doing it by hand.
- Transfer the potato, lemon mixture to a large mixer bowl;.
- with an electric mixer, beat in the eggs, sugar, syrup, vanilla and salt, beating until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the cashews in the pie pan and bake in a preheated 375ºF oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until filling is set.
- Check pie crust half way through cooking time, if crust is browning to quickly cover the edges of the crust will foil to stop it from getting to brown before the pie is set.
- Cool thoroughly before cutting, serve plain or with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.