Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
like the title says
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- For cake, preheat oven to 325 °F and grease and flour 3 9-inch round cake pans.
- Beat butter in a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Add sugar and again beat until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add flour, ½ cup at a time, mixing on a lower speed and alternating with buttermilk until all has been added and batter is smooth.
- Scrape batter evenly between the 3 prepared pans (I use a measuring cup to dole out the batter equally) and level with a spatula. Give the cake pans a gentle tap on the counter to loosen up any trapped air bubbles.
- Bake on center rack of the oven for 30 to 40 minutes, rotating pans halfway through cooking, until a center inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cakes for 20 minutes, then turn out on a rack to cool completely.