Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Organic Style magazine Good instead of sweet potatoes or yams.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 -2 butternut squash
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large nonstick skillet, sauté onion in 2 T butter over med-high heat until soft, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the cumin and cook for another minute.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the contents of the skillet into a 12 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the onions with the thyme and brown sugar.
- Wash off the butternut squash, then cut it open and remove the seeds.
- Cut into manageable chunks and peel with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Melt the remaining butter in the same skillet.
- Divide the squash cubes in half and brown them in the butter, turning occasionally.
- Sprinkle the squash with salt and pepper.
- Scrape the cubes and any remaining butter into the baking dish with the onion mixture.
- Pour the cream over the top and bake, uncovered, for 60 minutes, or until squash is meltingly tender.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
I liked the ease of this recipe. :) Good flavor too!:) I did make a substitution though, but only because I wanted to use some leftover beef and broth I had from the night before. I left out the brown sugar,& heavy cream and included the beef/broth mixture. Yummm!! Thanks Tootsie for a great recipe!!:)
This was a nice recipe. I made a few adjustments, as I am all about ease! :) I put 2T butter into a 9x13 pan, then added the onions, and placed it in the 350 oven until melted. Next I pulled the pan out, added all other ingredients, stirred well and put back into the oven for 60 minutes. Voila - easy & quick - and super results! Took some to my mom's house and she LOVED it - I thought it was 'good' - so we're goin' 4 stars to appease us both. :) Thanks for sharing!