Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This recipe makes 24 doughnuts, my advise is, better make a double recipe of these!
Top Review by Ilovemy4kids
Having made a number of Kittencal's recipes before with relative success, I tripled this recipe with no hesitation. Some people loved it, some did not like the nutmeg taste. Actually, taste was nice, but this reminds me more of a fry bread than a doughnut. I guess we are just used to Roosie's excellent donut recipe... so light and fluffy. I will try this one again because making it was so fast and easy, but will omit the nutmegs next time. Thank you for posting .
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 1⁄4 cups oil, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a deep-fryer to 374 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- In another small bowl, combine/whisk together 1/4 cup oil, buttermilk and the egg; mix well to combine, add to flour mixture, and mix until very well combined with a wooden spoon.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls into 6 cups hot oil (375 degrees); fry about 1-1/2 - 2 minutes, or until very light golden brown.
- Remove, and drain on paper towel.
- Roll in 1/2 cup sugar, mixed with cinnamon.
- Note: It is impotant to keep the oil temperature at a steady 375 degrees, otherwise the doughnuts will be overdone, and won't have a light texture.