Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Welsh Rarebit adorned with a poached egg is called a Golden Buck. This makes an easy, filling evening meal on a weeknight.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb cheddar cheese or 1 lb cheshire cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup ale or 1⁄2 cup beer or 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 8 slices toast
- 8 eggs, poached
- In the top part of a double boiler, melt butter.
- Add cheese and ale and stir occasionally until cheese is melted.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and eggs.
- Season with the dry mustard, cayenne and salt.
- Simmer, stirring frequently until mixture thickens.
- Reduce heat and hold, stirring occasionally, while you prepare poached eggs and toast.
- Top each slice of toast with and egg and cheese sauce.
I remember my father making these for us on Friday evenings in the early 50's with a big brown bottle of Schmidth's Tiger Head Ale. Well that's nowhere to be found these days so I used Colt 45 and cheddar. Thanks for the memory.