Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the Pirate's House Cookbook. The cooking time is long but worth it.
- 907.18 g onions, thinly sliced
- 59.16 ml butter
- 4.92 ml salt
- 14.79 ml flour
- 935.53 g campbell's beef broth
- 118.29 ml white wine
- swiss cheese
- French bread
- Melt butter in heavy pot. When foaming add onions and salt. Fry for 30-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Be careful not to burn or they will become bitter. Let onions turn a deep, rich brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour. Return to heat stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in liquids. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pour into crocks, top with thick slice of French bread and then Swiss cheese. Broil until bubbly.
Great recipe. Was looking for something simple. Unfortunately managed burn the onion despite reading the note to be careful not to - but pressed on. Didn't have bread but grated the cheese straight into the soup. Was a little bitter from the burned onion - but still tasted good - so imagine it would be fantastic if made correctly.
Excellent soup. Only thing was for me, it needed a little more salt. But other than that very nice and tasty. Made for ZWT4.
Made for ZWT 4 -- Crockpot Challenge. Browned the onions in butter and oil until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Used the wine to deglaze the pan and added all ingredients to the crockpot. Set the pot on high for about 4 hours. I did add a bit of sugar to the onions while browing, other than that followed the recipe. Turned out great. Thanks Vicki for a winner!