Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Wonderful chicken dish. Makes a delicious gravy for potatoes.
- 1 chicken (or 6 breasts)
- 1 can mushroom (or fresh sliced thin)
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 can beef consomme
- Cut up and brown chicken in large frying pan.
- Place in casserole.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Brown mushrooms in butter.
- Blend in flour, add worcestershire sauce, add bay leaf, lemon juice and beef consomme.
- Bake 325 for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add water if sauce seems to thick.
This got mixed reviews at my house. I used six chicken breasts. It didn't state what size can of mushrooms so I used a 4 ounce can. I didn't add the lemon juice. We didn't feel the gravy permeated the chicken much. Also my gravy didn't thicken up. Mine also cooked up in 45 minutes. I did like that it is made with ingredients I normally have on hand.
Moist and flavorful chicken recipe. Very easy to put together! I did use the 6 chicken breasts and the beef consomme adds a deep rich flavor with the mushrooms. We had brown rice with this and loved the gravy with it.