Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
Golden Bread-and-Butter Medley Use small field cucumbers in this new twist on an old favourite.
- 12 cups cucumbers, Thinly sliced (unpeeled)
- 2 cups white onions, Thinly sliced
- 1 cup sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup yellow sweet pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- In large bowl, combine cucumbers, onions, pepper strips and salt; cover with 3-inch (8 cm) layer of ice cubes and let stand for 4 hours.
- Drain; rinse under cold water and drain well.
- In large heavy saucepan, bring to boil vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds and turmeric. Add cucumber mixture and bring just to boil.
- Fill and seal jars; process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Makes about 11 cups