Prep 8 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup raspberries, frozen (thawed)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line muffin tins with liners or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, bran, baking powder and baking soda until well mixed.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk the egg whites, and molasses until frothy.
- Whisk in the applesauce and milk.
- Pour the liquid mixture in with the dry ingredients and stir until just combined, but do not over stir. (if desired, this can be left in the refrigerator over night, covered.) The fruit should not be added until just before baking.
- Very gently fold in the raspberries, (try to prevent the fruit from breaking.) Spoon an heaping 1/4 cup of the batter into each muffin cup, filling each completely.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the muffins from the tins and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Truly wonderful, feel like eating them all at one go:)
I dislike bran very much, but due to my grandamas diet restrictions she needs certain foods. These were some of the best bran muffins she's ever had, not to mention that I liked them too! I did. however, add a 1/2 cup more raspberries.
I liked the texture, but it had too much molasses flavor for me. But, even with that my kids still ate them!!