Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
The official recipe for a first course side dish served on January 20, 2013 at the luncheon following the second Obama Inauguration
- 8 small golden beets, peeled and cut in half
- 113.39 g green beans, ends snipped, cut 1 inch on the bias
- 7.39 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 7.39 ml minced shallot
- 7.39 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml white pepper
- 1892.0 ml water
- Bring 2 quarts water to a boil and add 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt.
- Place beets into water gently and allow to cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove beets using a strainer and set in a bowl.
- Allow water to return to a boil and gently add the green beans for 3-4 minutes until tender. Remove the beans from the pot using a strainer and add to the bowl with the beets.
- Place olive oil in a sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add the shallots to cook until tender.
- Add the beets and beans and season with salt and pepper to taste.