Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
The official recipe for a first course side dish served on January 20, 2013 at the luncheon following the second Obama Inauguration
- Bring 2 quarts water to a boil and add 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt.
- Place beets into water gently and allow to cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove beets using a strainer and set in a bowl.
- Allow water to return to a boil and gently add the green beans for 3-4 minutes until tender. Remove the beans from the pot using a strainer and add to the bowl with the beets.
- Place olive oil in a sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add the shallots to cook until tender.
- Add the beets and beans and season with salt and pepper to taste.