Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sweet seasonings combined with earthy spices! I love cooking with herbs and spices! One advantage to using golden beets in this recipe is that the beets don't bleed as their red counterparts do when cooked. You, dear cook, may of course use canned beets (canned beets *not* recommended for this recipe, but you'll be sacrificing flavor dramatically, keep that in mind.
- 2 lbs beets, trimmed
- 1 lemon, juice of, large
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (I actually add closer to 1/3 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water (start with 1/2 tablespoon and adjust)
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- loose leaf lettuce (optional) or romaine lettuce (optional)
- Wash the beets well, peel, trim off tops and steam until tender, about 20-30 minutes. Alternately, the beets can be oven-roasted or placed in aluminum foil and grilled.
- Once beets are cool, slice thinly.
- In a non-reactive bowl toss the sliced beets with the lemon juice, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, orange blossom water, olive oil, salt and the pepper. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Cover and chill. Marinate 2-3 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in the chopped fresh parsley.
- If desired, line each salad plate with lettuce leaves and top with the beet salad.
I completely cheated & used canned, sliced beets. Hopefully, someday I will see golden beets & can make this properly. This was loved by all - even the 'beet haters'. I used regular paprika vs. smoked. I also added extra orange blossom water. I think that is the key flavor that makes these really stand out. Made for NA/ME Tag 1/14.