1 hr 30 mins
This beautiful rice dish , studded with apricots and crsip apples is inspired by an ancient Persian dish that was made for the royal court. My occupational therapist brought me some when she made it for one of the holidays and I loved it! True, I don't think I would like a steady diet of it but it has different & interesting flavors and it grows on you. We have made it twice already and have already made some small changes, have also made it with vegetable broth so that it can be used for a vegetarian diet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter (we used 5 T)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth or 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup salted roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 6 dried apricots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large granny smith apple, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 2In a small bowl, crumble the saffron over the warm water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 3In a large skillet, apray with cooking spray & melt 3 tablespoons of the butter.
- 4Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, 7 minutes.
- 5Stir in the cinnamon, then add the rice and stir to coat.
- 6Add the stock, saffron and its soaking liquid and the salt and bring to a boil.
- 7Transfer the rice and liquid to a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish.
- 8Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, or until the stock is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- 9In a large skillet, spray with cooking spray & melt the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- 10Add the scallions and cook over moderately high heat for 30 seconds.
- 11Add the almonds and apricots and cook until the apricots start to brown, about 2 minutes.
- 12Add the apple and cook, stirring, just until warmed, about 1 minute.
- 13Stir the mixture into the rice, season with pepper and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Basmati Rice With Apricots & Apples
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.4
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 26.7 mg
- Sodium 589.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low sodium vegetable broth