I always make this rice to go with Indian meals- dahl, or Awesome Sambhar. From the Kripalu cookbook.
- 2 cups brown basmati rice (or 2 cups a combination of white and brown basmati rice) or 2 cups white basmati rice (or 2 cups a combination of white and brown basmati rice)
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 -6 whole cloves
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onions or 1 -2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Combine all ingredients except salt (see below) in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer, cover and let cook 15-20 minutes. If you want to do it the really Indian way, stir in the salt partway through. Personally I never add the salt, but you could probably just add it at the start.
- Check after 15 minute and let it continue to cook till the water's gone. If it starts to stick on the bottom don't worry; take it off the heat.
- Let the rice sit, mostly covered, for 7-10 minutes. This time will allow the rice to firm a litle, and none will be stuck to the pot.