Recipe by Andrea in NH
This is from the TOH F/M 04 issue. This is such a versital recipe. It goes from picnic table to dining room table. I used low sodium soup and used 6 grain bread instead of French bread. I halved the recipe, for 2 of us, and used it as a side dish to Beef Burgundy.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
So nice to see that you had the same idea I did when I made your recipe ~ I substituted some nutty, whole grain bread for the less tasty kind, but otherwise worked my way right down your recipe & we had an absolutely delicious side dish! Definitely worth making again! Thanks for posting it! [Made & reviewed for the closing of Pick A Chef event]
- 6 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded swiss cheese, divided (12 oz.)
- 6 slices French bread (3/4 in. thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions in butter for about 12 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine soup, milk, pepper, and 2 c cheese.
- Stir in onions.
- Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Brush bread with melted butter, on one side.
- Arrange butter side up over cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350, for 25-30 minutes.
- If desired, broil 4-6 inches from heat until golden brown.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.