Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice low fat, heart-healthy Cauliflower soup. To make this vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- 2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, combine broth, cauliflower, carrots, and onions. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 7 to 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Puree in a blender or food processor. Return to pan.
- Add milk and heat thoroughly, but do not boil.
- Stir in nutmeg and pepper.
Excellent delicious creamy soup! I used baby precleaned carrots and so therefore I did not chop them up. I used the recommended chicken stock as well as frozen cauliflower florets. I also doubled the soup. I pureed the soup with a blender in batches. I enjoyed the soup very much and I was the lucky one to get the only non-pureed baby carrot. How it escaped the blender, I will never know. I also loved the flavor added by the addition of the nutmeg. Made for PAC Spring 2013.
This is very simple and tasty. I put it together this morning while DS had breakfast, and by afternoon the flavors had melded beautifully for a nice lunch. This gets the fifth star for two reasons: veg soup is a great way to get toddlers to eat veggies and this soup is no exception, and I have been paying out the nose for organic canned veg soup because of it. So not only did this make a yummy meal for us that DS will eat but it also will save me boatloads of money in the long run. Thanks for posting! Made for Healthy Choices ABC.
Carrots nicely complement the cauliflower. Excellent low fat, low sodium way to get your veggies. Substituted low sodium vegetable broth for chicken broth with good results.