Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This beautiful bread gets its sunny color and soft texture from the mashed vegetables. Surprising but tasty!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup cooked mashed butternut squash or 1 cup sweet potatoes or 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1⁄3 cup warm milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine squash, milk, margarine, egg, brown sugar and salt and mix them well.
- Add yeast mixture to squash mixture along with 1 1/2 cups flour. Mix well and add enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, around 6-8 minutes.
- Coat a large bowl with oil, add the dough and turn it to coat with oil. Cover bowl and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until dough doubles, around 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Divide dough into thirds and roll each third into an 18 inch rope. On a greased baking sheet, braid the three ropes together. Pinch ends, cover and let the dough rise until it is almost doubled, around 30 minutes.
- Combine beaten egg and water to make a glaze. Brush the glaze over the dough. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until the bread is golden brown. Remove from the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack.