Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 37 mins
This is my adopted recipe, They are a very good nice shortbread crust and the apple filling is great. I only used 1/2 cup brown sugar in with the apples as I used Gala apples. Perhaps with a less sweet apple you would use the 3/4 cup. I used the food processor to chop up 4 apples. I had about 2-1/2 cups apples. Between 2 to 3 cups would be fine.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped equal to 2 cups
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 -3 tablespoon milk
- Cream 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup shortening and powdered sugar.
- Blend in 1-1/2 cups flour.
- Pat mixture onto the bottom of a 15 x 10 x 3/4-inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Combine 1-3/4 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Chop apples to equal 2 cups.
- Melt last 1/4 cup butter in large saucepan, blend in brown sugar,lemon zest, egg, vanilla and apples.
- Stir flour mixture into apple mixture.
- Spread evenly over bottom layer; mixture will be thick.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 minutes.
- CINNAMON GLAZE.
- Combine powdered sugar, ground cinnamon and milk.
- Blend until smooth.
- Spread glaze on Golden Apple Bars while they are still warm.