Recipe by Steve P.
This is a real peanut lovers treat. Lots of peanut flavor abounds everywhere. Be warned though this recipe is for those with a sweet tooth as well. It's very sweet and the Kids will love it. For the adults it's a decadent treat that goes well with a hot cup of coffee.
Top Review by sszz
I fixed the cake part of this recipe and iced it with a cream cheese peanut butter frosting. The cake seemed really dense to me. It was more like a hearty bread than the light fluffy cake that I was expecting. I followed the recipe exactly, but I might have made a mistake somewhere.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesoftened cream cheese
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 4 tablespoons Karo syrup
- 1 box powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- For cake: In large mixing bowl, cream butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy.
- Add brown sugar.
- Mix to blend.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter and peanut butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour batter into 3 well greased and floured 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake in preheated 350ºF oven until cake tests done, about 45 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack to room temperature before filling and frosting the cake.
- For filling: Soften margarine and cream cheese at room temperature.
- Cream together well.
- Add powdered sugar and continue beating until creamy.
- Add vanilla and peanut butter.
- Spread between cooled layers.
- For frosting: Melt margarine, brown sugar and Karo syrup in boiler, bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add milk, powdered sugar, vanilla, and peanut butter.
- Beat until creamy.
- Spread on top and sides of cooled cake after filling.