Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
The recipe is not mine. It's from a bag of Gold Medal Flour, so if you don't care for it...that's o.k. It certainly has what it takes to make it a keeper for me, though. No muss. No fuss. It's light, moist, and makes two perfect 8 X 4 loaf pans. Takes about an hour to bake. P.S. It needs an added banana to really enhance the flavor, though.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3-4 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottoms only of 2 (8X4 inch) loaf pans.
- In large bowl, mix sugar and butter. Add eggs, bananas (increase recipe by one banana), buttermilk and vanilla; beat with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, salt and nuts (if using) just until moistened. Pour batter into pans.
- Bake for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool about 1 hour before slicing.
This recipe is easy, quick, and very good. I gave it four only stars because I think the original recipe could use more bananas. On my second try, I added an additional banana and that brought it to five stars. Very tasty, moist, and it freezes very well, too. I have made it a few times since with variations, such as baking in mini four loaf pans (reduce baking time to 40 minutes) and adding Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips. Good stuff!
I made half recipe to have only 1 loaf. I baked it 60 minutes like you said and it was perfect. The taste is amazing. I used margarine and less sugar than written. I didn't use the nuts cause I didn't have time to chop them LOL Thanks Suzanna :) Made for 123 hit wonders
This is the best banana bread I have ever made. We use almond milk instead. Add the thickness of buttermilk, but healthier. I also add in a small box of pudding mix (french vanilla or if you want more a banana taste, banana pudding). Add an additional tablespoon of milk.