Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
The recipe is not mine. It's from a bag of Gold Medal Flour, so if you don't care for it...that's o.k. It certainly has what it takes to make it a keeper for me, though. No muss. No fuss. It's light, moist, and makes two perfect 8 X 4 loaf pans. Takes about an hour to bake. P.S. It needs an added banana to really enhance the flavor, though.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3-4 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottoms only of 2 (8X4 inch) loaf pans.
- In large bowl, mix sugar and butter. Add eggs, bananas (increase recipe by one banana), buttermilk and vanilla; beat with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, salt and nuts (if using) just until moistened. Pour batter into pans.
- Bake for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool about 1 hour before slicing.
I made half recipe to have only 1 loaf. I baked it 60 minutes like you said and it was perfect. The taste is amazing. I used margarine and less sugar than written. I didn't use the nuts cause I didn't have time to chop them LOL Thanks Suzanna :) Made for 123 hit wonders
I have been making a Betty Crocker banana bread recipe that uses milk and oil for years and thought I would never find a recipe I liked better. Well I did today! I made this recipe for the first time today and I absolutely loved this bread. The butter and the buttermilk really makes this bread. It was sweet with a tender texture. My other bread was good, but more dense. This will be my go to recipe from now on. I am so glad I tried it. I was going to share one loaf, but that's not going to happen now LOL.
Thank you! I had the original Gold Medal recipe and I misplaced it. I was so glad to find this one. It is the best banana bread ever!!!