Recipe by chefRD
Being part Polish on my mother's side of the family, of course I have my favorite Polish recipes! I just loved when my mom made stuffed cabbages growing up. Here is one of the many stuffed cabbage recipes I've collected. This one comes from a newspaper clipping my mom saved years ago dated 1981.
- 1 head of cabbage (large)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon kelp (powdered-optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill (chopped) or 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed (dried)
- 1 cup beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut out core from cabbage. Pull off and save 12 outer leaves;chop remaining cabbage and set aside. Immerse leaves in boiling water about 3 minutes or till limp;drain. Cut out center vein of cabbage leaves, keeping each leaf in one piece.
- Cook chopped cabbage, uncovered, in boiling water 2 to 3 minutes;drain and set aside.
- Cook ground beef and onion till meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain off excess fat. Add kelp (kelp is a nutrition booster and may be purchased at health food stores), if desired; salt; and pepper. Stir in rice and dill. Remove from heat.
- Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture on each cabbage leaf;fold in sides. Starting at unfolded edge, roll up each leaf, making sure folded sides are included in roll. Place half of the chopped cabbage in bottom of 13X9X2 inch baking dish. Arrange cabbage rolls, seam side down, atop. Cover with remaining cabbage. Pour broth over all.
- Cover and bake 350 degree oven 1 hour.