1 hr 10 mins
pronounced gaw-WUMP-kee, literally meaning 'little pigeons'. Probably the best known Polish food. The ground meat & rice type in tomato sauce are the most common, but the seasonings and stuffings vary from region to region and there are many other varieties, including vegetarian versions like the one listed here.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large cabbage, with big leaves, core removed
- 175 g long grain rice
- 50 g butter
- 2 large onions, peeled and minced
- 450 g mushrooms (canned or fresh)
- 5 ml Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 5 ml salt
- 2 ml pepper
- 5 ml garlic powder
- 9 ml sweet paprika
- 1 ml parsley
- 1 1/2 liters tomato juice or 1 1/2 liters vegetable stock or 1 1/2 liters mushroom stock
- 6 -9 ml sweet paprika
- 1Slice through the base of the cabbage and cook in lightly salted boiling water until tender.
- 2When the leaves are tender, peel off (You may have to peel the first layers first and then return the cabbage to cook and continue peeling the leaves until all are done).
- 3Boil the rice until just tender; drain and set aside.
- 4Fry the onions in the butter until softened.
- 5Dice the mushrooms and fry lightly with the onions, and the Worcestershire sauce, if using.
- 6Mix with the rice and season with salt, pepper, garlic, paprika and parsley.
- 7Place a tablespoonful of the rice mixture in each cabbage leaf; carefully, tuck in sides and roll to cover rice.
- 8Heat the oven to 400°F.
- 9Grease a roasting pan and place cabbage rolls seam side down in pan, packing them tightly together.
- 10Pour enough juice or stock over the top to cover them.
- 11Sprinkle lightly with remaining paprika.
- 12Cover and bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- 13Remove cover and bake for another 10 minutes to brown the cabbage lightly.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golabki (Polish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls) (Vegetarian Version)
Serving Size: 1 (602 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.3
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 26.7 mg
- Sodium 1759.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 28.3 g
- Protein 13.7 g