Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of my late Polish grandmother's recipes out of an old book called "Polish Favorites". This variation has bread in the meat mixture, while her other recipe (which I am looking for) has rice in it.
- Boil cabbage long enough that leaves separate without tearing.
- Select 10 to 12 of the largest leaves and trim off midribs so leaves become easy to roll.
- Soak bread in water and squeeze out.
- Combine with meat and mix thouroughly.
- Cook onion in butter until golden.
- Add with egg and salt and pepper to meat mixture.
- Divide into as many portions as there are cabbage leaves and spread evenly on leaves.
- Roll firmly, tucking edges so stuffing will not escape and secure with cotton thread, if desired.
- If there are not enough large leaves, use 2 small leaves.
- Slice some of the remaining cabbage and place in the bottom of a large pot.
- Arrange cabbage rolls tightly on top and add broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Arrange on hot platter, pour sauce over top and serve with hot boiled potatoes.
- Sauce: Make a roux with the flour and butter.
- Add tomato paste and broth from the stuffed cabbage and stir until smooth and bubbly.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar and paprika to taste and simmer for about 5 minutes.