Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1⁄3 cup Godiva original chocolate liqueur
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Godiva original chocolate liqueur, divided
- to taste chocolate, shaved (optional)
- For the buttercream: cream butter until smooth.
- Sift the sugar and cocoa powder over the butter, add 1/3 cup of Godiva liqueur and slowly mix until smooth.
- For the cake: sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar and add the eggs one at a time beating after each addition.
- On low speed, stir in the chocolate and gradually add the reserved sifted ingredients in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk and 1/2 of the liqueur, beat until smooth.
- Divide the batter among 3 greased and floured 9" cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated oven 375: for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto rack to cool completely.
- Chill the layers in the freezer for about 30 minutes until firm.
- To assemble the cake: remove the cake layers from the freezer and brush with the remaining liqueur before spreading 3/4 cup of the buttercream between each layer.
- Spread the remaining buttercream over the top and sides of the cake which has been placed on a serving plate.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate. If not serving immediately and have it stored in the refrigerator, remove the cake 1 hour prior to serving.
- Garnish with chocolate curls if using.
This recipie was great! The cake was moist and rich but personally i prefer even more chocloate.
This was a very good cake. The buttercream is out of this world! The cake was not as moist as I would have liked however. It was not difficult to make. I might make another cake next time but I will definitely use this buttercream!
I always make this for my daughter's birthday. This is the perfect chocolate cake.