Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
It tastes more like the traditional Gujarati dal but I like it and find it different from the usual dals.
- Heat the dal in a pan.
- Add the coconut milk and boil.
- Next add the jaggery and tamarind water.
- Then add garam masala and salt.
- Heat oil in a separate pan.
- Add cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Fry till cumin seeds begin to splutter.
- Pour this mixture into the boiling dal.
- Cover and cook on low heat.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice.
I Tried it, but was nothing like a gujarati dal. I think It should not have Coconut and lots of Corriander-cumin powder, as suggested by one of my gujarati friend.
I only had Masoor dal on hand, so that is what I went with. It was a hit with my eight year old daughter (my toughest critic). We like coconut, so I used one cup of the milk. I spiced it to our tastes and served it along side sweet onion rice with peas. My daughter is already begging me to make it again, and we just finished supper. Thank you for posting this treat!