Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
It tastes more like the traditional Gujarati dal but I like it and find it different from the usual dals.
- 1 cup toor dal (cooked and mashed to form a paste)
- coconut milk (as much as required)
- 1 tablespoon jaggery
- curry leaf
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- garam masala
- cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp, soaked in water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the dal in a pan.
- Add the coconut milk and boil.
- Next add the jaggery and tamarind water.
- Then add garam masala and salt.
- Heat oil in a separate pan.
- Add cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Fry till cumin seeds begin to splutter.
- Pour this mixture into the boiling dal.
- Cover and cook on low heat.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice.