Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a cookie my best friends mom made during the holidays growing up in Pennsylvania.It is a chocolate cake like cookie with a creamy filling.
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- COOKIES: preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Take one cup of milk in saucepan and heat to just before a simmer and add one teaspoon of vinegar.This makes sour milk need for the mix.
- Add one cup boiling water to sour milk, set aside.
- In large mixing bowl combine one cup shortening two cups of sugar and eggs and cream together.
- In separate bowl combine four cups flour,1/2 teaspoon salt, one teaspoon baking powder, two teaspoons baking soda, and 1/2 cup cocoa.
- Alternating milk and flour mixture add to egg mixture til all ingredients combined well.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- In small saucepan combine one cup milk and two tablespoons cornstarch heat on low to medium heat stirring constantly until thick.
- Let cool.
- In mixing bowl cream together one cup sugar 1/2 cup shortening, 1/2 cup butter or margarine, and one teaspoon vanilla.
- Add milk mixture in small amounts until all is incorporated.
- Beat until creamy and no grit from sugar.
- (you can add food coloring for looks).
- place filling between two cookies and enjoy.
- These cookies freeze well.