Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
Delicious, low-fat and really quick to make appetisers - they can be ready in less than 20 minutes. Or they can be fully prepared ahead, and assembled when you are ready to serve them. And it's a recipe that can easily be doubled. I found this recipe in the November 2005 issue of the Australian magazine 'Table: easy family food for everyday of the week', and I'm posting it for the 2005 Zaar World Tour.
- 24 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1⁄4 cup light olive oil
- 150 g soft fresh goat cheese
- 3 slices smoked salmon, diced
- 1 firm avocado, cubed
- lime juice (1 squeeze) or lemon juice (1 squeeze)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, and grease 2 x 12-hole mini muffin pans.
- Roll out the bread slices to flatten them slightly and, using a biscuit cutter, cut 1 x 7 cm circles from each slice. Brush the bread rounds with olive oil and gently press them into the lightly greased muffin pans; and bake them for 6-8 minutes, until they are crisp and golden; then cool them on wire racks.
- Lightly mash the goat's cheese in a bowl and fold through the salmon, avocado, juice and pepper to taste; and spoon into the bread cups just before serving.
I used the small square wonton wrappers instead of bread - baked them in a small size cupcake pan to form a cup and after they had cooled added the ingredients. I get asked for this recipe everytime I serve it.
I just loved these! The smoked salmon, chevre, and avocado were perfect together! I'm afraid my DH and preschooler didn't care so much for them, but then I love goat cheese, so maybe that made the difference. It was a rather pungent cheese that we used, too. I'd think that if one didn't like goat cheese, that a soft cows milk cheese would still be good (if not as good). Thanks so much for posting, bluemoon!
I did half the recipe cause we were only 3 adults. I added a bit more than 1 1/2 slice of smoked salmon. This was so easy to do even at the last minute. It's cute and delicious and so original. Thanks Bluemoon. Made for Holiday tag.