What's Cooking?'s Note:
This recipe, which I have not yet prepared, is from the BBC. It looks amazing, I can't wait to make it - I think I'll serve it for brunch with mixed greens and a potato dish on the side. Make sure to use a gluten-free flour mix that includes guar or xanthan gum.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE PASTRY
- 225 g gluten-free flour, mix plus extra
- gluten-free flour, for rolling
- 100 g butter
- 1 large egg, beaten, plus extra
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 100 g watercress, roughly chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 150 ml milk
- 150 ml log soft rindless goat's cheese, in rough chunks
- grated fresh nutmeg
- 1Put the flour and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the egg and about 1-2 tbsp water to form a soft dough. Knead well then wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C [392 F]. Knead the pastry again and roll it out to line a 20cm loose-bottomed flan tin (the pastry won't shrink, so no need to chill). Patch holes with spare pastry and brush the base and sides with egg.
- 3For the filling, fry the onion in the oil until just soft, add the watercress and cook until just wilted. Beat the eggs and milk and stir in the watercress mixture and goat's cheese.
- 4Season and if you like, add a pinch of nutmeg. Put the flan tin on a bakingsheet and bake the pastry blind for 5 minutes. Add the filling and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 180C/gas 4/ fan 160C [356 F] and cook for 25-30 minutes or until lightly set.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Goat's Cheese and Watercress Quiche [ Gluten-Free ]
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 319.4
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 270.0 mg
- Sodium 242.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: