Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This sounds like a yummy appetizer! From Southern Living, which states this is great with Mantanzas Creek Chardonnay. However, I wouldn't know as I can't drink the stuff....lol
- 1 tablespoon light butter
- 4 small white onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and sugar; cook, stirring often, 30 minutes or until caramel colored.
- Add vinegar and honey; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in thyme.
- Stack phyllo, coating each layer with cooking spray.
- Cut into 6 (5 inch) squares and spoon onion mixture evenly onto center of phyllo squares.
- Top evenly with goat cheese.
- Lift corners and twist together.
- Place packets on a lightly greased baking sheet and lightly spray each packet with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375°F for 12 minutes or until golden.
AWESOME!! I have never made anything like this, but made these for a small party this week and they were perfect. Everyone loved them! I wish I had found this recipe earlier. Absolute keeper!!! ZWT6
Much too easy for such a pretty package....Loved, loved, loved! I had this for a light dinner with Smoked Salmon Potato Cakes With Garlic Cream. Perfect for a summer evening. The honey and balsamic was stellar. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Lori. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds of ZWT 6.
Lori, this is MY kind of food! We both loved this, it was simple and yet so full of flavours. I used local chevre cheese and I hope you don't mind, but to save time, I used some of my own onion marmalade/jam I already had made for the onion side of things! Used fresh thyme from the garden and garnished with extra thyme for a very pretty light lunch on the terrace! Fabulous flavours! Made for ZINGO and the Whine and Cheese Gang! Merci! FT:-) (Photos to be posted)