Recipe by Kathy228
This makes a pretty presentation and can be made 5-days in advance and refrigerated or it can be frozen up to 2-months. Found this recipe on "What's Cooking America?" The ingredient amounts listed below are for a half recipe. Prep time is refrigeration time.
Top Review by SarasotaCook
Very nice. Liked the goat cheese added. 3 Things ... I used a herb cream cheese vs adding dried oregano to the cheese, and didn't add any garlic, but did add the pepper. I made my own pesto (store bought is fine, I just had plenty of herbs so I wanted to use them, so I had extra garlic in mine which is why I didn't add garlic to the cheese mix) And, I love pine nuts and didn't put any in my pesto so I had some on had and decided to use it. I rough chopped, very rough chopped and toasted until golden brown and actually put a small layer of nuts in between the pesto and sundried layer. Then I garnished as well. Fresh parsley sprig was my garnish. None left, so, good. The goat cheese was a nice addition. I used a loaf pan. Draining the pesto a bit and the tomatoes is key to get a pretty layered effect. It comes out perfect! I served as suggested, baguettes or crackers, I used both and bread sticks too. The kids love the small bread sticks. Just pretty!
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup prepared pesto sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon slivered almonds (to garnish)
- fresh oregano (to garnish) or parsley sprig (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 8 x 3 loaf pan, soufflé pan or decorative mold with plastic wrap.
- In a large bowl, with a hand mixer or by hand, combine cream cheese, goat cheese, garlic, oregano, and pepper; stir until well blended.
- Spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture onto the bottom of prepared pan (I use wet fingers to spread the cheese). Top with pesto, spreading evenly.
- Layer with another 1/3 of the cheese mixture.
- Drain sun-dried tomatoes and finely chop; spread evenly over cheese mixture in pan. Top with remaining cheese.
- Cover with plastic wrap and press gently to pack. Refrigerate overnight.
- Uncover and invert onto a serving plate, carefully removing the remaining wrap.
- Garnish with almonds, and oregano or parsley. Serve with crackers or baguette bread.