Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
An elegant dish.
Make and share this Goat Cheese Tartlets With Caramelized Shallots recipe from Food.com.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 7 large shallots, sliced lengthwise
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- black pepper, Freshly-ground
- 22 ounces goat cheese, creamy
- 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, minced
- flat leaf parsley, for garnish
- 8 ounces frisee, for garnish (endive)
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, chilled, cut up
- Make the Pate Brisee: Combine the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor; pulse for 5 seconds.
- Add the butter pieces, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a slow, steady stream, add 6 tablespoons of ice water through the feed tube. Pulse until the mixture holds together when squeezed.
- Divide dough into two equal balls.
- Flatten each ball into a disk, and cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill at least 1 hour.
- Set twelve 4-inch bottomless tartlet (flan) rings or twelve 4-inch tartlet pans with removable bottoms on two parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Lightly flour a clean working surface. Roll Pate Brisee to a 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut out twelve 5-inch diameter circles, and fit into tartlet rings.
- Using a fork, prick pastry all over; chill until firm, at least 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line shells with aluminum foil; fill with dry beans or pie weights.
- Transfer baking sheets to oven; bake shells 12 minutes, rotating once during baking.
- Remove beans and foil.
- Continue baking until slightly golden, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Remove baking sheets from oven; transfer to a wire rack.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallots and sugar; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until shallots are very tender and have deeply caramelized, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat; set aside. Place goat c heese in bowl of a food processor; puree until very smooth.
- Add heavy and sour creams; process until well combined.
- Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Stir in thyme and parsley; season with pepper.
- Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons filling into each shell, filling to within 1/8-inch from top.
- Arrange 1 heaping teaspoon reserved shallots on top of each tartlet. Transfer baking sheets to oven; bake tartlets until filling has set, 13 to 15 min utes, rotating once. Transfer sheets to a wire rack to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Remove rings.
- Sprinkle remaining parsley over tartlets.
- To serve, place tartlets on plates.
- Garnish each plate with frisee.