Recipe by kymgerberich
Smoky Poblano Chilies, sweet garlic and fresh zucchini layered in a creamy goat cheese custard with a flaky crust.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups zucchini, julienned
- 4 whole poblano chiles, roasted
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the Pastry Dough:.
- Sift the flour and salt into a small bowl. Use a pastry blender to cut in the butter until the mixture reaches the consistency fo coarse crumbly meal. Turn out onto a clean dry surface.
- Make a well in the center of the dough, pour in 4 Tbl milk and knead into the flour mixture, adding in additional milk as needed (the dough should become a little moister and slightly more pliable than pie dough). Roll the dough into a ball and flatten into a disk by gently pressing between your hands. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes and up to a week.
- Prepare the Vegetable Filling:.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Saute the sliced garlic until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Toss in the julienned zucchini and saute until just cooked and bright green, about 2 minutes. Cool and drain off any excess liquid.
- Peel and seed the roasted poblanos. Slice into thin strips and add to the sauteed vegetable mixture. Set aside.
- Prepare the Custard:.
- Combine the eggs and goat cheese in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade; pulse just until smooth. Add in the half-and-half, salt and white pepper, puree until smooth.
- Assemble the Tart:.
- Roll the chilled pstry dough out on a lightly floured work surface until it reaches the thickness of pie crust. Press into the bottom and up the sides of an 8 inch tart pan with a rmovable bottom. Let the dough rest ro 5 to 10 minutes, then trim any excess from the edges with a sharp knife.
- Sprinkle the vegetable mixture over the bottom of the crust. Pour in the egg custard to just below the rim of the dish and bake in a 325 degree oven until the custard is set and a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center, about 70 minutes. Allow the tart to cool to room temperature and then seal in plast wrap; remove from the tart pan just before serving.