Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Goat Cheese Souffles in Phyllo Cups With Frisee Salad recipe from Food.com.
For phyllo cups
- 6 phyllo pastry sheets, thawed if frozen (17- by 12-inch)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
For souffle filling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 ounce finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (1/2 cup)
- 5 ounces soft mild goat cheese, crumbled (2/3 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces frisee, torn into bite-size pieces (8 cups)
- 6 radishes, cut into very thin wedges
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Special equipment: a muffin pan with 12 (1/2- or 1/3-cup) muffin cups.
- Make cups: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cover stack of phyllo with 2 overlapping sheets of plastic wrap and a dampened kitchen towel.
- Put 1 phyllo sheet on a work surface and brush with some butter, then top with 2 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter.
- Cut buttered stack into 6 (4 1/2-inch) squares with a sharp knife, trimming sides as needed.
- Line each of 6 muffin cups with a square.
- Make 6 more phyllo cups (4 are extra, in case of breakage) in same manner with remaining pastry sheets and butter.
- Bake cups in middle of oven until golden, about 8 minutes, then cool completely in pan on a rack.
- Make filling: Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- While cups are cooling, melt butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, then whisk in flour.
- Cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes.
- Add milk in a stream, whisking, and bringto a boil, whisking.
- Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in mustard, yolks, and 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano until combined, then fold in goat cheese.
- (Cover surface of mixture with wax paper if not using immediately.) Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until they just hold stiff peaks.
- Fold one third of whites into sauce to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly.
- Spoon batter into 8 phyllo cups and sprinkle with remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Bake in middle of oven until soufflés are puffed and golden, about 15 minutes.
- Make salad while soufflés bake: Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and salt in a bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified.
- Just before soufflés are ready, toss frisée and radishes in a large bowl with just enough dressing to coat.
- Mound salad onto 8 plates and sprinkle with chives, then make a small nest in center of each.
- Place a soufflé cup in each salad and serve immediately.
- Cooks' notes: • Phyllo cups can be made 1 day ahead and kept in pan, carefully wrapped in plastic wrap, at room temperature.
- • Soufflé filling (without egg whites) can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Bring to room temperature and stir (to loosen) before proceeding.
- You can make the soufflés 4 hours ahead (keep at room temperature).
- Put in a 375°F oven for 8 minutes to reheat.
These are very good... although credit should go to Gourmet Magazine (April 2003), which is where the recipe actually came from. Don't skip the salad... it's the perfect compliment to the goat cheese cups.