My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For phyllo cups
For souffle filling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 ounce finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (1/2 cup)
- 5 ounces soft mild goat cheese, crumbled (2/3 cup)
- 1Special equipment: a muffin pan with 12 (1/2- or 1/3-cup) muffin cups.
- 2Make cups: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 3Cover stack of phyllo with 2 overlapping sheets of plastic wrap and a dampened kitchen towel.
- 4Put 1 phyllo sheet on a work surface and brush with some butter, then top with 2 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter.
- 5Cut buttered stack into 6 (4 1/2-inch) squares with a sharp knife, trimming sides as needed.
- 6Line each of 6 muffin cups with a square.
- 7Make 6 more phyllo cups (4 are extra, in case of breakage) in same manner with remaining pastry sheets and butter.
- 8Bake cups in middle of oven until golden, about 8 minutes, then cool completely in pan on a rack.
- 9Make filling: Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- 10While cups are cooling, melt butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, then whisk in flour.
- 11Cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes.
- 12Add milk in a stream, whisking, and bringto a boil, whisking.
- 13Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes.
- 14Remove from heat and whisk in mustard, yolks, and 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano until combined, then fold in goat cheese.
- 15(Cover surface of mixture with wax paper if not using immediately.) Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until they just hold stiff peaks.
- 16Fold one third of whites into sauce to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly.
- 17Spoon batter into 8 phyllo cups and sprinkle with remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- 18Bake in middle of oven until soufflés are puffed and golden, about 15 minutes.
- 19Make salad while soufflés bake: Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and salt in a bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified.
- 20Just before soufflés are ready, toss frisée and radishes in a large bowl with just enough dressing to coat.
- 21Mound salad onto 8 plates and sprinkle with chives, then make a small nest in center of each.
- 22Place a soufflé cup in each salad and serve immediately.
- 23Cooks' notes: • Phyllo cups can be made 1 day ahead and kept in pan, carefully wrapped in plastic wrap, at room temperature.
- 24• Soufflé filling (without egg whites) can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- 25Bring to room temperature and stir (to loosen) before proceeding.
- 26You can make the soufflés 4 hours ahead (keep at room temperature).
- 27Put in a 375°F oven for 8 minutes to reheat.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Goat Cheese Souffles in Phyllo Cups With Frisee Salad
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 319.4
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 94.6 mg
- Sodium 347.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 9.1 g