Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Goat Cheese Souffles in Phyllo Cups With Frisee Salad recipe from Food.com.
For phyllo cups
- 6 phyllo pastry sheets, thawed if frozen (17- by 12-inch)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
For souffle filling
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 ounce finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (1/2 cup)
- 5 ounces soft mild goat cheese, crumbled (2/3 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces frisee, torn into bite-size pieces (8 cups)
- 6 radishes, cut into very thin wedges
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Special equipment: a muffin pan with 12 (1/2- or 1/3-cup) muffin cups.
- Make cups: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cover stack of phyllo with 2 overlapping sheets of plastic wrap and a dampened kitchen towel.
- Put 1 phyllo sheet on a work surface and brush with some butter, then top with 2 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter.
- Cut buttered stack into 6 (4 1/2-inch) squares with a sharp knife, trimming sides as needed.
- Line each of 6 muffin cups with a square.
- Make 6 more phyllo cups (4 are extra, in case of breakage) in same manner with remaining pastry sheets and butter.
- Bake cups in middle of oven until golden, about 8 minutes, then cool completely in pan on a rack.
- Make filling: Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- While cups are cooling, melt butter in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, then whisk in flour.
- Cook roux, whisking, 3 minutes.
- Add milk in a stream, whisking, and bringto a boil, whisking.
- Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in mustard, yolks, and 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano until combined, then fold in goat cheese.
- (Cover surface of mixture with wax paper if not using immediately.) Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until they just hold stiff peaks.
- Fold one third of whites into sauce to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly.
- Spoon batter into 8 phyllo cups and sprinkle with remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Bake in middle of oven until soufflés are puffed and golden, about 15 minutes.
- Make salad while soufflés bake: Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and salt in a bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking until emulsified.
- Just before soufflés are ready, toss frisée and radishes in a large bowl with just enough dressing to coat.
- Mound salad onto 8 plates and sprinkle with chives, then make a small nest in center of each.
- Place a soufflé cup in each salad and serve immediately.
- Cooks' notes: • Phyllo cups can be made 1 day ahead and kept in pan, carefully wrapped in plastic wrap, at room temperature.
- • Soufflé filling (without egg whites) can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Bring to room temperature and stir (to loosen) before proceeding.
- You can make the soufflés 4 hours ahead (keep at room temperature).
- Put in a 375°F oven for 8 minutes to reheat.