Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Food & Wine. Posting here for safekeeping; I'm dying to try this one!!
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 1⁄4 cup honey, plus more for drizzling
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 1⁄2 ounces fresh goat cheese, softened log (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh raspberry, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk with the cream, vanilla bean and seeds, the 1/4 cup of honey and the lemon zest. Bring to a simmer.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Strain the milk, discarding the vanilla bean.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the whole eggs with the yolks, sugar and cornstarch until smooth. Gradually whisk in the warm milk mixture.
- Pour the contents of the bowl into the saucepan. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat, whisking constantly until thickened, 1 minute.
- Transfer the custard to a blender.
- Add the goat cheese, butter, lemon juice and salt and blend until smooth.
- Pour the custard into eight 3/4-cup ramekins and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Top with raspberries and a light drizzle of honey and serve.