Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. If you don't own a ricer or food mill, pulse the potato mixture a few times in a food processor. And if you're not worried about saturated fat, replace the olive oil with butter.
- 1 lb russet potato
- 1 cup shallot, sliced (about 6 large)
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs, divided
- 3 1⁄2 ounces mild goat cheese, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh chives or 1⁄4 cup scallion top
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1" pieces; simmer in saucepan with the shallots and garlic for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain, return to pan and shake over burner until excess liquid has evaporated, about 30 seconds.
- Force potato mixture through a ricer or food mill and stir in 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs, goat cheese, chives or scallions and salt and pepper to taste.
- Form 1/2 cup measures of the potato mixture into four 3/4" thick cakes; coat both sides of cakes with remaining 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs.
- Heat olive oil in heavy skillet over medium high heat; saute cakes, turning once, for 5 minutes on each side or until crusty and golden brown.