Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Tampa Tribune Parade 8/29/2004.
- 1 pita bread (6 1/2 inch diameter)
- 1⁄3 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 3 ounces fresh goat cheese, broken into large clumps
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons finely slivered red onions
- 4 imported black olives
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon, zest of
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place pita on baking sheet, spread sauce to within 1/2 inch from edge.
- Crumble cheese on top.
- Sprinkle thyme, onion, olives and peppers and season.
- Bake until cheese melts, about 10 minutes.
- When out of oven sprinkle with lemon zest and parsley.
- Serves 2 as an appetizer, or 1 as an entree.
- NOTE: Veggies should be blanched to ensure tenderness.
This is a very rich pizza. I only used half of the 3 oz of goat cheese and found that I could only eat 1/8th wedge of a 6" round pita bread. I used roasted red pepper, dried thyme and kalamata olives. The flavor of the pizza is of a really rich and creamy dip on a crispy crust. The flavors blend well. We tried this recipe during an experimental lunch of many pizzas on pita breads. Served as intended, as an appetizer, it would be perfect.