1 hr 15 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
From Food & Wine, April 2008.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/2 cup ruby port
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, plus
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled (2 pints)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons water
- 11 ounces fresh goat cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- crostini, for serving
- toasted walnuts, for serving
- 1In a saucepan, bring the wine, port, black peppercorns, shallot, thyme sprigs and 1 cup of the sugar to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- 2Using a moistened pastry brush, wash down any sugar crystals on the side of the pan.
- 3Cook over moderate heat, without stirring, until syrupy and reduced to 1 cup, about 35 minutes.
- 4Strain and discard the solids.
- 5Let the caramel cool slightly.
- 6Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, toss the strawberries, orange zest, water and the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and let stand until juicy, about 30 minutes.
- 7Bring the strawberries to a boil and simmer over moderate heat until slightly thickened and jammy, about 15 minutes.
- 8Transfer the compote to a bowl and let cool.
- 9In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the goat cheese, cream, ground pepper and chopped thyme until creamy.
- 10Spoon the mousse into a bowl and serve with the compote, caramel, crostini and walnuts so guests can assemble their own.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Goat Cheese Mousse With Red-Wine Caramel
Serving Size: 1 (503 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 797.8
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 71.8 mg
- Sodium 413.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 86.6 g
- Protein 18.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs