Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Food & Wine, April 2008.
Make and share this Goat Cheese Mousse With Red-Wine Caramel recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup ruby port
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, plus
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled (2 pints)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons water
- 11 ounces fresh goat cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- crostini, for serving
- toasted walnuts, for serving
- In a saucepan, bring the wine, port, black peppercorns, shallot, thyme sprigs and 1 cup of the sugar to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Using a moistened pastry brush, wash down any sugar crystals on the side of the pan.
- Cook over moderate heat, without stirring, until syrupy and reduced to 1 cup, about 35 minutes.
- Strain and discard the solids.
- Let the caramel cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, toss the strawberries, orange zest, water and the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and let stand until juicy, about 30 minutes.
- Bring the strawberries to a boil and simmer over moderate heat until slightly thickened and jammy, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the compote to a bowl and let cool.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the goat cheese, cream, ground pepper and chopped thyme until creamy.
- Spoon the mousse into a bowl and serve with the compote, caramel, crostini and walnuts so guests can assemble their own.