Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Necessity is the mother of . . . well, you know. This recipe was born when I went to the grocery store one day and they were out of ricotta. It occurred to me that goat cheese being the same consistency, it might do in a pinch. I find it lends itself beautifully to this dish, and now my family prefers this recipe to the traditional. Use the un-aged soft goat cheese, for example Chavroux. If you are looking for a marinara sauce recipe, I've posted one that goes especially well with this dish ! Preparation time does not include time to prepare the marinara sauce.
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 8 lasagna noodles (I use the no pre-cooking type)
- 3 (125 g) containerssoft goat cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 150 g shredded mozzarella cheese (NOT the fresh, but the brick-packaged regular)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 (125 g) packages fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup romano cheese
- Beat the eggs then add the drained goat cheese, the shredded mozzarella, the basil leaves, salt and pepper, and mix till creamy and everything is incorporated well.
- Coat the bottom of a 13X9X2 inch baking dish with a thin layer of the sauce.
- Arrange half the lasagna noodles in the pan.
- Cover with half the goat cheese mixture.
- Cover this with half the mozzarella slices.
- Cover this with half the marinara sauce.
- Repeat layers: noodles, goat cheese, mozzarella slices and sauce.
- Sprinkle parmesan or romano on top.
- Bake in pre-heated 375°F oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or till bubbly and the cheese is nicely melted on top.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I also used the rolls of goat cheese (so there was no need to drain). Otherwise, followed the recipe as given. It turned out perfectly. I was making this for a party and didn't have time to prepare the day of the party, so I prepared and baked for 15 minutes two nights before the party. Then I heated up the lasagna for about 45 minutes right before the party, and it tasted great. Rave reviews from everyone!
I made this in cannelloni form and put fresh tomatoes and basil on the top before baking too. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Next time I am going to try mixing a little pesto into the goats cheese mix.
I made this last night for my BF and a few of his friends and it got rave reviews. The goat cheese had such a wonderful taste and texture. Thank you!