Recipe by GoldsmithLissa
Falafel pitas with goat cheese
Top Review by Scoutie
I had cut out this recipe from Cooking Light magazine, Jan., 2005 and came upon it again while getting ready for ZWT 2010. This is VERY good! When in a hurry, I have used a 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained well. If goat cheese is too strong for you, feta works too. I leave out the chili in the sauce, as we have some babies...adult babies, that is...in the house. LOL Thanks for posting, Lissa.
- 4 whole wheat pita bread, halved
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans (garbanzo beans)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (6 inch) whole wheat pita bread, torn into large pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 large egg whites
- cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped seeded plum tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped seeded English cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 serrano chili, minced
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup soft fresh goat cheese (log-style)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Falafel: sort and wash chickpeas, and place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Combine chickpeas and next 11 ingredients (through 2 chopped garlic cloves) in a food processor; pulse 8 to 10 times or until finely chopped. Spoon mixture into a bowl. Add egg whites to chickpea mixture, and stir well. Let stand 15 minutes. Divide mixture into 16 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Place patties on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350º for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Relish: combine tomato and next 5 ingredients (through chile).
- Sauce: combine yogurt, goat cheese, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1 minced garlic clove, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
- Place 2 falafel patties in each pita half; spoon about 1/3 cup relish and 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce into each pita half. Serve immediately.