I made this little appetizer up in a pinch one day (when I was out of eggs and Mean Chef was coming to dinner). Most people do not see dates sliced like this, but they look so artful and the sweetness of the dates matches well with the tart cheese.
- 1 box water crackers
- 6 ounces goat cheese
- 20 pitted dates, approximately
- Spread a light to medium coating of goat cheese on the crackers.
- Slice the dates into little 1/4 inch"O"s.
- Place 3 slices of dates on each cracker.
- Be sure to let everything come to room temperature before serving so you get the full flavor of the cheese and the dates.
This was a fabulous appetizer. The dates are a pefrect match to the goat cheese. I haven't made it, but I have eaten a bunch of it at Gay's house.
Nice little snack for myself. Used Sociables crackers (buttery type cracker). Contrasting textures: smoothness of the cheese, the chewyness of the dates and the crunch of the crackers.
I HATE goat cheese. Despise it! So shy am I giving this a five-star review? Just because I made a recipe doesn't mean I have to eat it, does it? But Sushiman loves goat cheese (not everyone can be perfect). I made these on the spur of the moment since it consists of ingredients that we always have in the house. We sat down to watch a DVD and I presented Sushiman with a plate of these. It made him happy, but I had to sit on the other end of the couch to escape the "aroma" of the goat cheese. Have I mentioned that I HATE goat cheese? Thanks Gay, you've made ONE of us happy! ;-)