1 hr 15 mins
This is quite possibly the best dish I have ever prepared; it comes from the cookbook of a very famous and decorated New Orleans chef. I made the small adjustment of cutting the "croutons" into smaller piece than she does to make this a finger food appetizer for parties. I made it recently to truly wide acclaim. With the simplicity of this dish, it is beyond essential that only premium quality ingredients be used. The number of portions for the dish is difficult to estimate, but it will, as is, give you 24 bite size pieces so figure from there.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 0 goat cheese, fresh and softened to room temperature
- 14.79 ml butter, softened
- 6 slice whole grain bread
- 29.58 ml shallots, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml madeira wine
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 226.79 g mushroom, wild mix of shitakes and oysters
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 9.85 ml chives, fresh with extra for garnish
- 1For the goat cheese croutons:
- 2Combine goat cheese and butter; lightly toast bread.
- 3Spread equal portions of goat cheese mixture onto toast; trim the crusts and cut bread slices into four equal portions.
- 4Set aside for the time being, but when you get to making the mushrooms, you'll want to broil the croutons until bubbly and lightly browned.
- 5For the Madeira Cream:.
- 6In a small saucepan, simmer the shallots in Madeira until the liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup.
- 7Add the cream, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer 5-10 minutes, until the cream thickens; set aside.
- 8For the Wild Mushrooms:.
- 9Turn on the broiler and put your croutons in; remove when bubbly and lightly browned.
- 10Remove stems from the mushrooms, and tear the mushrooms into pieces.
- 11Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- 12When the butter is bubbling but not browned, add the mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 13Stir in the garlic and Madeira cream.
- 14Turn the heat to high and boil for 2 minutes, until mushrooms have absorbed most of the cream; season with salt and pepper, and stir in chives.
- 15To Serve:.
- 16Arrange croutons on serving platter, and spoon mushroom mixture onto each piece. Garnish with chives.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Goat Cheese Croutons With Wild Mushrooms in Maderia Cream
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 301.2
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 69.6 mg
- Sodium 207.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: