Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is quite possibly the best dish I have ever prepared; it comes from the cookbook of a very famous and decorated New Orleans chef. I made the small adjustment of cutting the "croutons" into smaller piece than she does to make this a finger food appetizer for parties. I made it recently to truly wide acclaim. With the simplicity of this dish, it is beyond essential that only premium quality ingredients be used. The number of portions for the dish is difficult to estimate, but it will, as is, give you 24 bite size pieces so figure from there.
- 0 goat cheese, fresh and softened to room temperature
- 14.79 ml butter, softened
- 6 slice whole grain bread
- 29.58 ml shallots, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml madeira wine
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 226.79 g mushroom, wild mix of shitakes and oysters
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 9.85 ml chives, fresh with extra for garnish
- For the goat cheese croutons:
- Combine goat cheese and butter; lightly toast bread.
- Spread equal portions of goat cheese mixture onto toast; trim the crusts and cut bread slices into four equal portions.
- Set aside for the time being, but when you get to making the mushrooms, you'll want to broil the croutons until bubbly and lightly browned.
- For the Madeira Cream:.
- In a small saucepan, simmer the shallots in Madeira until the liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup.
- Add the cream, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer 5-10 minutes, until the cream thickens; set aside.
- For the Wild Mushrooms:.
- Turn on the broiler and put your croutons in; remove when bubbly and lightly browned.
- Remove stems from the mushrooms, and tear the mushrooms into pieces.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- When the butter is bubbling but not browned, add the mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown and crispy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and Madeira cream.
- Turn the heat to high and boil for 2 minutes, until mushrooms have absorbed most of the cream; season with salt and pepper, and stir in chives.
- To Serve:.
- Arrange croutons on serving platter, and spoon mushroom mixture onto each piece. Garnish with chives.