Recipe by SailingChef
Sweet appetizer. The recipe is from Bon Appetit and called for blood oranges but I didn't have any and did not want to mess with removing the meat from the membranes so I used mandarin oranges instead.
- 8 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 16 ounces mandarin oranges
- 2 oranges
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 12 -18 slices French baguettes (1/2 inch-thick )
Directions See How It's Made
- Using vegetable peeler, remove peel (orange part only, the white part is bitter) in strips from both oranges.
- Cut peel into 1/8 to 1/4 inch pieces, reserving a bit to mix with the goat cheese and placing reminder into medium saucepan.
- Squeeze 1 Tbls of fresh orange juice into saucepan. Discard oranges.
- Chop mandarin oranges in half and add to saucepan along with black pepper and honey.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat and cook uncovered until thick and reduced, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Cool.
- Mix crumbled goat cheese with reserved orange peel in separate bowl.
- Top toasted baguette slices with goat cheese, then marmalade.
- Place crostini on platter and serve.