Recipe by Manami
April 2005 Bon Appetit, special menu section. This is from the Spring Menu edition. I made these for a Brunch that we had for our sister homes' administrative staff, they were gone in less than 15 minutes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 5 ounces log soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- european-style butter, room temperature (such as Plugra)
- 6 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 1 bunch fresh dill sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Line 2 heavy large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk first 6 ingredients(starting with flour through the black pepper) in large bowl.
- Using fingertips, rub butter into dry ingredients until coarse meal forms.
- Add cheese and buttermilk; stir with fork just until dough comes together (bits of cheese will be visible in dough).
- Pat dough out on lightly floured surface into 3/4-inch-thick round.
- Using floured 2-inch-diameter cutter, cut out biscuits.
- Gather scraps and pat dough out; cut out additional biscuits.
- Arrange on prepared baking sheets and bake 6 minutes.
- Turn sheets; bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes longer.
- Cool biscuits on rack. (Biscuits can be made 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.).
- Split biscuits in half horizontally.
- Spread bottom halves with thin layer of butter.
- Divide salmon among biscuits.
- Top each with dill sprig and biscuit top.
- Serve with a side of sour cream or creme fraiche.