Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A wonderful, savory bread pudding. I have subbed the mushrooms for roasted butternut squash and the chevre with whole milk ricotta with tasty results.
- 3 cups bread, cubed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 6 ounces chevre cheese, finely crumbled
- 3 ounces prosciutto, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (or gruyere)
- Toast bread cubes in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or so, stirring halfway through. Leave oven on at 350.
- In a bowl, mix together eggs, yolk, milk, and cream until thoroughly blended.
- In another bowl, toss together bread cubes, prosciutto, shallot, mushrooms, pine nuts, thyme, and pepper.
- Spray or lightly butter a 9x9 square baking pan and pour in the bread mixture, pat to distribute evenly. Crumble the chevre over all and mix in slightly with hands.
- Pour egg mixture over bread cubes. Sprinkle with shredded cheese such as parmesan or gruyere, for a golden crust.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, or it springs back when you poke it in the middle. Alternately, when a thermometer inserted into center reads above 145 degrees it is done.
WOW!!! This is absolutely wonderful. Wouldn't change a thing. Great flavors and went very well with a roast chicken. Will be making this again!