1/1 Photo of Goat Cheese and Mushroom Tart
This is such a simple appetizer but packs loads of flavor. It's a huge hit at both parties and family meals. I found the original recipe in a community cookbook and it's become a party staple. Prep time does not include time to let the filling cool.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pie crust
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1To make the spread:.
- 2Clean the mushrooms, remove stems and cut into quarters.
- 3Place the mushrooms and onions in a food processor and finely chop ~ I just chopped finely by hand.
- 4Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt the butter.
- 5Add the mushroom/onion mix, salt and thyme and saute for 5 minutes.
- 6Reduce heat to low and saute for 5 minutes longer or until most of the moisture has evaporated and the mixture is like a paste in texture.
- 7Spoon into a small bowl and let it stand until cool then add lemon juice, mayo and Worcestershire sauce and mix well.
- 8This filling may be made 1 day ahead and refrigerated until needed.
- 9For the tart:.
- 10Preheat the oven to 450º. If using a refrigerated pie crust like I do, let pie crust stand at room temperature according to package directions.
- 11Unroll the pastry on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- 12Spread the mushroom filling evenly to within 1 1/2 inches from the edge.
- 13Sprinkle with cheese and thyme.
- 14Fold in one edge of the pastry toward the center covering part of the filling.
- 15Work around the edge, pleating as you go.
- 16Bake for 10 minutes.
- 17Then reduce heat to 350º and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- 18Remove from oven and cool pan on wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Goat Cheese and Mushroom Tart
Serving Size: 1 (98 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.0
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 10.8 mg
- Sodium 214.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: