Recipe by Lvs2Cook
This is such a simple appetizer but packs loads of flavor. It's a huge hit at both parties and family meals. I found the original recipe in a community cookbook and it's become a party staple. Prep time does not include time to let the filling cool.
Top Review by flower7
I had a refrigerated pie crust I needed to use so went searching for something different to do with it when this caught my eye. I made a couple minor changes to use other things I had on hand - dried thyme not fresh (same amt), and feta instead of goat cheese. I didn't measure the cheese, just used what looked good. Delicious and a great way to use an extra pie crust. Thanks for sharing!
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pie crust
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the spread:.
- Clean the mushrooms, remove stems and cut into quarters.
- Place the mushrooms and onions in a food processor and finely chop ~ I just chopped finely by hand.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Add the mushroom/onion mix, salt and thyme and saute for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and saute for 5 minutes longer or until most of the moisture has evaporated and the mixture is like a paste in texture.
- Spoon into a small bowl and let it stand until cool then add lemon juice, mayo and Worcestershire sauce and mix well.
- This filling may be made 1 day ahead and refrigerated until needed.
- For the tart:.
- Preheat the oven to 450º. If using a refrigerated pie crust like I do, let pie crust stand at room temperature according to package directions.
- Unroll the pastry on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Spread the mushroom filling evenly to within 1 1/2 inches from the edge.
- Sprinkle with cheese and thyme.
- Fold in one edge of the pastry toward the center covering part of the filling.
- Work around the edge, pleating as you go.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Then reduce heat to 350º and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool pan on wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.